The official name is Hidalgo
County Irrigation District No.11. The district office is
located in the city of Weslaco, Texas. The district boundary
covers 11,000 acres of Hidalgo County and serves an estimated
(avg) 9,000 acres of irrigated cropland. The distribution
network is made up of 10 miles of main canals, 2 miles of
resacas, 11 miles of laterial canals, and 22 miles of pipelines.
The pumping plant was built
in 1922, with current maximum operating capacity at 111
cfs. Two main storage reservoirs are located just down stream
of the pumping plant with a combined capacitiy of 2000 acre-feet.
Municipalities and industries that are fed from the irrigation
district include the cities of Weslaco and Leighville, Southern
Power & Light (CP&L) Electric Company, and the Barroso and
Federal City Water Supply Corps.
The HCID11 has a history
of irrigation dating back to the 1911's. Orchards, vineyards,
and cultivated fields were watered from the Rio Grande through
a system of acequias, or irrigation ditches. After the mid-1800ís,
colonization and development of the irrigated valley began
increasing at a rapid pace, which placed a heavy demand
upon the irrigation systems that had been in use.